Pumpkin Pizza with Crispy Sage
Thin crust pizza with pumpkin, nutmeg, Gouda cheese, and crispy sage.
For the pizza dough:
2 1/4 teaspoons rapid rise yeast
1 cup warm water
Pinch of sugar
3 1/2 cups Gold Medal Better For Bread Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
Corn meal-for spreading on pizza peel
Canola oil, for frying sage leaves
10 fresh sage leaves
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Salt and black pepper, to taste
2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
To make the pizza dough:
1. In a glass measuring cup or small bowl, combine yeast and 1 cup warm water. Add a pinch of sugar and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour and salt. Mix the ingredients until combined.
3. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture. Next, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix until combined. Switch to the dough hook and knead for about 5 minutes on medium speed.
4. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Form dough into a ball and place in the bowl. Cover pizza dough with a damp towel and set in a warm area to rise. Let the dough rise for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
5. While the pizza dough is rising, fry the sage leaves. Heat 1-inch canola oil in a small pan over medium-high heat until surface is shimmering slightly. Add a few leaves at a time and cook until crisp, but still bright green, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a paper towel to drain. Season with salt.
6. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F or as high as your oven will go. If you have a pizza stone, place the pizza stone in the oven to get hot.
7. Cut the dough in half. Take one piece of dough and punch it down on a lightly floured surface. You can refrigerate or freeze the other half of the dough or make 2 pizzas, if you wish. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a circle. Place the pizza on a pizza peel or pan that has been generously coated with corn meal.
8. In a small bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Spread pumpkin mixture evenly over pizza dough. Top with Gouda cheese.
9. Place the pizza in the oven-directly on the pizza stone, if using one, or on the oven rack. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until pizza crust is golden and cheese is melted.
10. Remove the pizza from the oven and place crispy sage leaves on top. Let the pizza cool for a few minutes and then cut into slices and serve warm.
Note-this pizza is also great with Gruyere cheese.